Monday, April 4, 2016

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen | Audible Audiobook

Series: Standalone

Publication: 2015 by Audible Studios

Source: Purchased

Goodreads Summary: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

So begins Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen's witty comedy of manners--one of the most popular novels of all time--that features splendidly civilized sparring between the proud Mr. Darcy and the prejudiced Elizabeth Bennet as they play out their spirited courtship in a series of eighteenth-century drawing-room intrigues.

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:

This was so good! The only reason I picked this audiobook up was that the actress of Jane, Rosamund Pike, narrates it from the newest Pride and Prejudice movie. She did an amazing job and I don't think any other audiobooks could have stood up to it.

Rosamund consistently portrays each of the characters with unique voices and inflections, even softening her natural voice to portray Jane which I just found amusing since she's played Jane before. I especially loved her portrayal of Mr. Collins. She captured his ridiculous essence so well with her narration that I always found myself having to hold back giggles at his parts.

I only wish that there had been some more drama at the Darcy-Elizabeth proposal-spurning scene. I think I was hoping for something more along the movie which may have been unrealistic, I know.

I'm so glad that Rosamund did this and that it's available for listeners. It made for such a unique, gratifying read for me and I definitely recommend it!

Likes: Unique voices and inflections for all of the characters. I think it's something special with having the actress who played Jane read the story.

Dislikes: Just wish there was some more drama in the Elizabeth-Darcy proposal-spurning scene.

Overall:
Recommend? YES!


No comments :

Post a Comment