Sunday, April 10, 2016

Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos | Audible Audiobook

Series: Standalone

Publication: January 27th 2016 by Audible Studios

Source: Free Grab from Audible

Goodreads Summary: From the sumptuous private drawing rooms of 18th-century Paris to the decadent estates and chateaus of the French countryside, La Marquise de Merteuil and Le Vicomte de Valmont hatch a long-distance plan of vengeance and seduction.

Valmont is determined to conquer the famously pious Madame de Tourvel, whose husband is abroad on business. However, Merteuil has other plans. She enlists his involvement in the seduction of a young convent girl, Cécile Volanges, the wife-to-be of the Marquise's former lover. But as they race toward the culmination of their plans, events start to spiral out of control, and they realise that they might not be as in control of their hearts as once they thought.

Starring:

Madame de Volanges: Adjoa Andoh
La Présidente de Tourvel: Elaine Cassidy
Cécile Volanges: Morfydd Clark
Le Chevalier: Danceny Edward
Holcroft, Marquise de Merteuil: Janet McTeer
Vicomte de Valmont: Dominic West
Madame de Rosemond: Una Stubbs.

With announcements by Simon Kane
.
Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:

I think this is one that I'll have to actually read the book to understand everything. The plot was difficult for me to follow with the different characters, especially with it being French literature and I inevitably always have difficulty keeping foreign names separate in my brain. I found myself thinking that I had finally figured everything out and then I would get confused again. From what I could make out and get straight in my head however, I did enjoy this. Quite a few twists and has plenty of subplot, behind-the-scenes antics going on and full of intrigue and naughtiness of the century. It's also epistolary which is one of my favorite styles. If you're familiar with the story or if you've read the book or seen the play beforehand, I think this would be easier to listen to on audiobook, but if you are a casual listener this may be difficult to follow. This version itself also is only excerpts, not the entirety of the book so that may have led to my difficulty as well. 

However, the performance itself of this was very entertaining to listen to since its the actors from the play reading it aloud. They put plenty of emotion and realness into the characters and I really enjoyed listening to their performances. This would be a good version to pick up if you are looking for an emotional, dramatic recording.  

No comments :

Post a Comment