Friday, April 8, 2016

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll | Audible Audiobook

Series: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1

Publication: February 23rd 2016 by Audible Studios

Source: Purchased

Goodreads Summary: Golden Globe nominee Scarlett Johansson (Lost in Translation, Girl with a Pearl Earring) brings a palpable sense of joy and exuberance to her performance of Lewis Carroll's enduring classic Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. From the White Rabbit and Mad Hatter to the Cheshire Cat and Queen of Hearts, she imbues each madcap character with a distinct voice and personality that will leave a lasting impression long after the adventure is over.

One hundred and fifty years after its original publication, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland remains one of the most widely read, deconstructed, referenced, and reinterpreted works of Western fiction. It tells the story of the young and imaginative Alice, who grows weary of her storybook, one "without pictures or conversations", and follows a hasty hare underground - to come face to face with a host of strange and fantastic characters.

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:

More of a 3.5 stars for me but I bumped it up the last half because of how creative it was at the time of its publishing. I've never actually read the entirety of Alice in Wonderland, just bits and pieces that were in my literature books for school. I always found it a little difficult to get into and I'm not much of a whimsical person myself. However, I do appreciate it for its straight ridiculousness and the everlasting question of whether Alice just dreamed it all or not.

The Audible audiobook version of this was very entertaining to listen to. Scarlett Johansson reads it and I'm definitely on the bandwagon of having actresses read books (I loved Rosamund Pike's reading of Pride & Prejudice). She brought the story to life and made it more interesting for me. Her voices and inflections brought uniqueness to each character and I just truly appreciate her reading of this classic. I think she was a perfect choice. If you're going to look for an audiobook version of this, I would definitely recommend this version.


No comments :

Post a Comment