Monday, April 4, 2016

Standing in the Light: The Captive Diary of Catharine Carey Logan by Mary Pope Osborne

Series: Dear America

Publication: September 1st 1998 by Scholastic Inc.

Source: Library Book

Goodreads Summary: Catharine Carey Logan and her family have enjoyed a peaceful and prosperous life as the Quakers and Delaware Indians share a mutually trusting relationship. Recently, however, this friendship has been threatened by violence against the Indians. Then, Catharine and her brother are taken captive by the Lenape in retaliation. At first, Catharine is afraid of her captors. But when a handsome brave begins to teach her about the ways of the Lenape, she comes to see that all people share the same joys, hopes, and fears.

Osborne crafts a thrilling story of romance and danger and remarkable courage.

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:


*Re-read*

Forever going to be one of my favorites from the Dear America series. I don't remember the first time I read this book, probably around the age of 14 or 15, but I had read others of the Dear America series before that. Growing up, I, like many other kids, had an interest in Native Americans. I think it was mostly spurred from watching Pocahontas and playing the computer game of hers where you learned different Indian names for objects as you clicked on them. I even went as far as recording them all down along with pronunciation so I could learn them by heart.

Osborne has written an amazing book with this. It's designed for middle grade readers I believe so the language is easy but still touching in many ways. The plot is paced perfectly with enough in the beginning of Caty's life with the English to learn who she is and her concerns at just 13. When she and her brother are captured by the Lenape Indians, her writing reflects her intense distress in the short paragraphs until it gradually gets longer as she learns who the Lenape are. Her writing truly takes you on her journey with her as she gives away to her prejudices and opens her heart to the Lenape. And, as usual with this series, there is just a hint of romance thrown in which always was one of my favorite parts in the stories. This book in the series is probably the most touching that I have read and I think it's a beautiful, amazing read that can be enjoyed by all readers, not just middle grade.

No comments :

Post a Comment