Monday, October 24, 2016

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

For those of you unaware or who do not follow my BookTube channel, I am participating in Sbooktober. It's created by five different BookTubers and is brand new this year. This week, October 23-29, they are hosting a readathon. There are seven challenges for the readathon and this first book that I'm about to review is the first challenge. It's the group book that they picked for everyone to read and the other six challenges we were allowed to pick our own books. So, without further ado, here is my review of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House.

Series: Standalone

Publication: November 28th 2006 by Penguin Classics (first published in 1959)

Source: Library Book

Goodreads Summary: The classic supernatural thriller by an author who helped define the genre

First published in 1959, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House has been hailed as a perfect work of unnerving terror. It is the story of four seekers who arrive at a notoriously unfriendly pile called Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of a "haunting"; Theodora, his lighthearted assistant; Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman well acquainted with poltergeists; and Luke, the future heir of Hill House. At first, their stay seems destined to be merely a spooky encounter with inexplicable phenomena. But Hill House is gathering its powers—and soon it will choose one of them to make its own.

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:

Sbooktober Challenge #1: Read the group book
Sbooktober Challenge Book #1: Complete

Perhaps if I did not grow up as a Millennial (or am I am a Millennial X? I never get it right), this book would've frightened and enticed me more. But, alas, growing up in an age that is nearly 60 years after this book takes place where horror movies are a dime a dozen, this just wasn't scary. I do understand what the author was trying to do, even if it is a bit difficult to follow, and I appreciate it for what it is, but overall this book just left me feeling: meh.

The characters are interesting enough but at the same time, I felt that they were all the same. They have different backgrounds and personality traits that are explored, but not every character would truly be able to pick up on Theodora's strange conversation habits and banter back and forth as they do in the book. I understand how Theo's conversations were meant to cause a feeling of unease and imbalance throughout the book, but the entire time I just felt bored of the same type of conversations that made little sense over and over again. And also--Theodora was just a witch. One of the most unlikeable characters I've ever had to read about. In fact, all of the characters were unenjoyable to read about. Luke felt as if he was just a placemarker--very one-dimensional and clearly just set into the story to cause conflict between Theo and Eleanor. Dr. Montague was okay but my goodness was he not a pushover when it came to his domineering wife and her pet--excuse me--friend, Arthur. Mrs. Montague was terrible with her lack of manners and superior attitude. Eleanor herself was okay but she was quite bland to be forced to read through the entire book. Overall, this has to be one of the most disagreeable bunch of characters I've ever had to read about.

The plot was okay, if not slow. Nothing even happens the first 100 pages of the book besides being given details of the characters wandering through their rented haunted house. When phenomena actually started happening, I did become much more interested in the book and thought Jackson did a good job of painting the terrifying events the characters experienced. Even though it was a bit difficult to follow, I did like Jackson's writing style in the degradation of one of the character's minds due to the house's influence. It's definitely unique and probably revolutionary at the time of this book's publication.

Overall, the plot was interesting enough for me to give the book 3 stars. The characters were vastly unenjoyable for me and I inevitably found the book to be decidedly not-scary. However, it's getting 3 stars because it's another John Green-book for me. I like the idea, and understand and appreciate what the author was going for, but it just wasn't for me.







No comments :

Post a Comment