Thursday, October 20, 2016

Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

 Series: Throne of Glass #3

Publication: September 2nd 2014 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

Source: Purchased

Goodreads Summary: Celaena has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak―but at an unspeakable cost. Now, she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth . . . a truth about her heritage that could change her life―and her future―forever. Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. Will Celaena find the strength to not only fight her inner demons, but to take on the evil that is about to be unleashed?

The bestselling series that has captured readers all over the world reaches new heights in this sequel to the New York Times best-selling Crown of Midnight. Packed with heart-pounding action, fierce new characters, and swoon-worthy romance, this third book will enthrall readers from start to finish.

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:

I didn't like this installment of the series nearly as much as I liked the previous two. There's not something specific that I can pick out, it was just an overall feeling of non-enjoyment throughout the book.

I just didn't like Celaena in this book that much. Not that I hated her or disliked her but I didn't love her like I did in the previous two. I think perhaps it's because I found myself comparing this book to ACOMAF. I really feel that there are quite a few similarities between the characterization of Celaena in this one and Feyre in ACOMAF. They both are going through a PTSD-type of thing throughout the plot. They both are untrusting and hesitant. They both have lost someone important to them. They both are struggling with accepting who they are now. Overall, I really felt that Celaena kind of lost her uniqueness in this book.

The plotline was pretty lackluster and boring for me. Nothing especially exciting happened and I felt like this book was a filler for the series. I found myself more invested in learning what was going on with Chaol and Aedion and Manon rather than with Celaena and Rowan. Manon's storyline was so interesting and I loved reading about her and the other witches and the wyverns. I hope that she will have a bigger part in the following book. I also wish that we'd been given a bit more of Chaol's side of the story as he struggled with what he learned about Celeana in the last book and came to terms with leaving behind everything he knew. I think his feelings could've been explored much more than they were and I'm a bit disappointed. However, I did enjoy reading as Celaena practiced her magic. The process was interesting to read but I did feel like it paralleled too much with Feyre's struggles in ACOMAF. The only other complaint I have is that I wasn't a huge fan of Rowan. I kept hoping the entire book that Celaena wouldn't have an emotional attachment to him, but it's a bit unclear by the end of it what exactly the characters feel for each other. The ending was good as Sarah's endings have been and of course I'm interested to read the next book!

Obviously, I didn't hate it, as I am giving it 3.5 stars, but I feel overall that this is a book you could skip and simply read sparknotes or something before reading the next one.
 



No comments :

Post a Comment