Thursday, October 27, 2016

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Series: Standalone

Publication: August 4th 2002 by HarperCollins

Source: Library Book

Goodreads Summary: Coraline lives with her preoccupied parents in part of a huge old house--a house so huge that other people live in it, too... round, old former actresses Miss Spink and Miss Forcible and their aging Highland terriers ("We trod the boards, luvvy") and the mustachioed old man under the roof ("'The reason you cannot see the mouse circus,' said the man upstairs, 'is that the mice are not yet ready and rehearsed.'") Coraline contents herself for weeks with exploring the vast garden and grounds. But with a little rain she becomes bored--so bored that she begins to count everything blue (153), the windows (21), and the doors (14). And it is the 14th door that--sometimes blocked with a wall of bricks--opens up for Coraline into an entirely alternate universe. Now, if you're thinking fondly of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, you're on the wrong track. Neil Gaiman's Coraline is far darker, far stranger, playing on our deepest fears. And, like Roald Dahl's work, it is delicious. 
Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:

Sbooktober Challenge #5: Read a scary book and watch the movie adaptation
Sbooktober Challenge Book #5: Complete

LOVED this. I first saw the movie over 7 years ago and always loved it. I loved the quirkiness, I loved the storyline, I loved Coraline. I'm pretty sure when I first saw it that I didn't even know it was a book. But I am so glad that I finally read this!

People of all ages would enjoy this even though it is marketed as a children's horror book. Is it necessarily scary for all ages? No. But the overall atmosphere of the book is what really makes it for me. Gaiman creates a perfect feeling of unease mixed with the perfect amount of fun quirkiness throughout the book. The characters are all interesting, especially the main character of Coraline. She's fun and endearing and brave, and I really just love her as a character. The supporting elderly characters that live in the same apartments are all fun and quirky as well and really add some color to the book. The villain of the book is very unique and one that I have not seen in any other book that I have read. If Gaiman ever felt like it, he could definitely write a book just on the origin of the infamous beldam who is obsessed with button eyes and children. Also, side note, but the illustrations are perfect for the book as well! I really enjoyed them throughout the book.

Overall, this is a fun, creative horror story that all ages would enjoy. The movie adaptation, while not completely true to the book, is a very good representation of it and captures the essence of the book perfectly. Read it. Watch the movie. Enjoy!
 







No comments :

Post a Comment