Friday, March 18, 2016

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Series: Lux #1

Publication: May 8th 2012 by Entangled Teen

Source: Library Book

Goodreads Summary: Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring… until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something… unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:

I'm really left wondering why this book has so many stars on Goodreads. I thought it was a pretty light, easy read but it didn't capture my interest and it took me FOREVER (literally months) to read this. I'll just sum it up quickly why it took me so long: I don't like Armentrout's writing style and I never liked Daemon.

Armentrout's writing style is VERY similar to A.G. Howard's (author of "Splintered"). Lots of people like their style, but for me, it's boring, hard to follow and lackluster. Same thing as in "Splintered," the characters jump from conclusion to conclusion, conversations between characters are awkward, there's a strange attempt at sexual tension. I just can't. My brain just couldn't read it and enjoy it, I was too busy thinking "This is such a weird conversation. How did you jump to that? Nobody actually talks like that" the entire time.

It definitely does have some unique parts to it such as the whole what-they-are thing but it did definitely feel like "Twilight" as many other people have pointed out. There are so many similarities between the two and I won't bother listing them because I'm sure at least one reviewer has listed them before here on Goodreads. But the plot runs pretty similar to "Twilight," especially at the end, and although there is some unique qualities to Armentrout's characters because of them not being vampires, it didn't feel unique by the end of the book because of the plot.

Katy was an interesting character for me because of the same thing as is relatable to most people here on Goodreads: she's a book blogger. She loves reading. She actually posts book reviews on her blog and nerds out over new books being sent to her. She makes videos reviewing them. She's a pretty fun, relatable character. I like that she stood up for herself and kept her head on her shoulders for most of the book. Daemon was pretty insufferable for me. Although I can see where most people point out that he's just a complex character, he just reeked of jerk to me and I just couldn't get on with him regardless of some of his sweeter actions. Dee was a fun character and probably the only one that didn't get on my nerves the whole book. I flew through the first part of this book because Dee dominated much of it but when she started to peter out a bit towards the middle it because increasingly difficult to read for me.

Regardless of my feelings about this book, I think I will still try to continue the series and see if it becomes any better for me. A retelling of "Twilight" with a twist or not, I don't regret reading this even though it became very boring for me.

Likes: Katy for the most part. Dee. A new paranormal character type for YA.

Dislikes: I just couldn't get on with Daemon. "Twilight" retelling pretty much. The dialogue between characters felt awkward to me. I just don't care for Armentrout's writing style.

Overall:
Recommend? Yes.
  


No comments :

Post a Comment