Friday, March 18, 2016

Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs

Series: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #3

Publication: September 22nd 2015 by Quirk Books

Source: Purchased

Goodreads Summary:  boy with extraordinary powers. An army of deadly monsters. An epic battle for the future of peculiardom.

The adventure that began with Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and continued in Hollow City comes to a thrilling conclusion with Library of Souls. As the story opens, sixteen-year-old Jacob discovers a powerful new ability, and soon he’s diving through history to rescue his peculiar companions from a heavily guarded fortress. Accompanying Jacob on his journey are Emma Bloom, a girl with fire at her fingertips, and Addison MacHenry, a dog with a nose for sniffing out lost children.

They’ll travel from modern-day London to the labyrinthine alleys of Devil’s Acre, the most wretched slum in all of Victorian England. It’s a place where the fate of peculiar children everywhere will be decided once and for all. Like its predecessors, Library of Souls blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reading experience.

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:

My favorite out of the series hands-down. I thought the first book was okay. Not my favorite but it was unique and I wanted to continue the series. The second one I liked much better than the first and I thought that would probably be the best one in the series. Not for me. I loved this one. It was perfect in the way it closed the series. I wish that this had been the kind of action and writing we got in the first two instead of this being the end of the series. I liked pretty much everything about it. The setting, the action, the characters featured the most in this one. So many good things about it.

The setting completely engrossed me. I loved the loop that most of this takes place in. I would've never imagined a sort of low-life, grimy loop for out-of-the-way and exiled peculiars but of course it makes sense. The setting was just so interesting and I loved the high-stakes kind of feeling it lent the story. It put me exactly in an old-time-London kind of feel and I just immensely enjoyed it.

I loved that the story focused mostly on Jacob and Emma. They've always been my favorite characters in the series and I really enjoyed having the story focus on just a couple characters instead of the larger group of Miss Peregrine's peculiars. The romance was still there but understated as it's always been so that the action took a higher precedent over it which felt exactly right for the book.

I absolutely LOVED getting to see Jacob fully realize his power and the way that it developed. It's such a unique talent and I'm not sure why I find it so ridiculously appealing but I do. I started to get attached to hollows just like Jacob did and I think it was such an interesting, complex dynamic that developed through his talent. The only thing that confused me a bit was the connection between Jacob's talent as a holl0w-tamer and the librarian element. It was kind of glossed over for me and I was left a little confused about the connection but it didn't concern me enough to make me dislike the turn the story took.

The ending was perfect. I was expecting one ending but was rewarded with a much happier one than the heartwrenching, bittersweet ending I was prepared for. Trilogies don't often end on a satisfying note for readers but this one definitely did for me.

Likes: The setting was so amazing for me. Jacob's development of his talent. The action was great. The ending.

Dislikes: The pictures didn't really seem to fit with the storyline anymore. I'm not sure why they felt a bit out of place in this addition but they did for me. Caul is a bit lame as the antagonist. I didn't quite get Jacob's talent being one thing but then also secretly having a connection to being another one.






No comments :

Post a Comment