Friday, March 18, 2016

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Series: Standalone

Publication: April 22nd 2014 by Broadway Books

Source: Purchased

Goodreads Summary: On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer? 
Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:


Definitely not what I had pictured all this time. I expected a twist of course but I expected it to be near the end with everything pointing to an obvious character in the "who-done-it" and then spin to show the truth. That's not what you get at all.

I enjoyed reading it but I did start to lose interest once the twist is revealed near the middle of the book. I loved reading Amy's diary and it was really interesting to see how Nick's point of view slowly revealed different parts and you get to see more of his personality and previous actions. I found myself becoming more and more displeased with his character and, along with many other readers, I couldn't stand any of the characters by the end of it.

I did figure out the twist pretty early on. I had two possibilities in my mind and one of them was right when we're finally shown how everything actually happened so I wouldn't say it kept me on my toes or anything. But I did want to finish it and see how it would actually end. I was lucky in that I avoided watching the movie and avoided any spoilers so I had no idea what to expect going into this which is probably why I was so stunned in how different it was from what I was expecting.

It's another one of those books that has the "idea syndrome" for me, where I think the idea of the book is pretty cool but the execution of it is lacking in my opinion. Nick's side had action and some suspense and disgust all mingled in with it while Amy's side just felt like it dragged on forever for me. I was impressed with some of the actions and the twist in the book but the writing itself was so-so for me which is what made me dock it a star.

And then the ending just really upset me as it did many other readers. It left me upset and angry and baffled at the illogicalness of it all. After everything that takes place in the book, THAT'S how it ends? I can say that I would never have taken the same action as Nick in the same situation but at the same time it felt kind of like a fitting ending. Terrible people left in a terrible, practically inextricable situation to live the rest of their lives. One of the worst fates if you ask me.

Likes: Twist was pretty interesting but a bit predictable. I loved reading Amy's diary and the way it slowly revealed Nick's side of the past year or so. Amy impressed me in some ways. I did like Nick's twin, Go, as well.

Dislikes: The ending sucked but was fitting. The writing was so-so for me. Amy's side after the diary bored me terribly.

Overall:
Recommend? Yes I suppose cuz it's one of those cult books but honestly just watch the movie. It's pretty close and Amy's side of things is shorter therefore less boring.

No comments :

Post a Comment