Sunday, July 5, 2015

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies #1

Publication: February 8th 2005 by Simon Pulse

Source: Borrowed from Friend

Goodreads Summary: Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. In just a few weeks she'll have the operation that will turn her from a repellant ugly into a stunning pretty. And as a pretty, she'll be catapulted into a high-tech paradise where her only job is to have fun.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to become a pretty. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world-- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally a choice: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. Tally's choice will change her world forever...

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:
*This Review Contains A Very Mild Spoiler*

It took me a long time to get into this book. This book was written before dystopia really caught hold of the young adult genre so I'm sure it paved the way for many dystopian books but it just isn't that gripping itself in my opinion. It didn't have a striking, capturing element to it in the beginning like most dystopian books have now and the conflict of the book didn't even occur until about a third of the way into it which left me feeling bored the majority of the time reading it. I think it might be the concept of the book too that just puts me off a bit. I don't understand why a society would take hold based on the idea of making everybody "pretty." Of course, the "pretty" operation is partly a cover-up of a more sinister motive to keep everybody under control, but I just think it's a bit strange and illogical.

The plot was slow for me up until Tally arrived at the Smoke. I finally became interested in it by that point. I loved the glimpses into their world that we were given and how they foraged a lifestyle in the wilderness away from the cities and their pretty operations. I wish that the book had focused more on Tally's time there and had extended her time in the Smoke. I also liked the characters that Tally met there, especially David of course. I also wish that the book had explored a bit more of the rift between Tally and Shay that developed. There was a lot of focus on the big picture of the book rather than any actual character situations or character development.

I will read the next two books simply because my friend has lent them to me and wanted me to read them but I don't think I would finish this series otherwise. I think there are a lot better dystopian books out there with similar storylines and characters.

Likes: The Smoke. David. Tally. Shay. The dystopian world was built well.

Dislikes: Boring. The concept of a society being built simply on being "pretty" is a little ridiculous to me. Too much emphasis on boring details like Tally learning how to hoverboard. The entire beginning of the book is just that in itself with bits of Shay in it to attempt to break up the monotony. Also, random, but Tally is said to have dark eyes in the book yet her picture on the cover has blue eyes so who missed that in the publishing world???

Overall:
Recommend? No.

Reading the Next One? Yes since my friend lent the first three to me and wants me to read them. Otherwise I wouldn't continue the series on my own.

 


No comments :

Post a Comment