Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

Series: The Winner's Trilogy #1

Publication: March 4th 2014 by Farrar, Straus, Giroux BYR

Source: Library Book

Goodreads Summary: Winning what you want may cost you everything you love.

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction.

Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:

First of all, this book is super pretty. The cover is pretty. The pages are deckle-edged (which is my favorite!). The headers and page numbers are on the side of the page instead of the top and bottom which is something I've never seen before. I love the way this book was designed! A+

I don't have too much to say about this book honestly. I enjoyed reading it. I thought it had an interesting twist with the blend of genres that Rutkoski used. I liked it enough to want to read the second one. But something was just missing for me.

This book is a blend of fantasy and historical fiction. It had fantasy elements of it taking place in a different world than us, and there were different races and names than we would use today. But it has an interesting twist because it's not dystopian but instead takes place in the past. I would guestimate that the time period this book takes place is closest to the mid-to-late-1800s based off of the societal rules that Kestrel, the main character, had to follow and the way that they dressed. Kestrel's world also includes slaves which is similar to our Civil War period (in the U.S.) during the mid-1800s. Since I have an interest in both fantasy and historical fiction, I enjoyed the book just based off of that and that I haven't seen another book with this blend of genres.

I think the main thing that kept me from enjoying this book more is that it is written in third person. I much prefer first person and connect much more with characters that way. The way the book is written I think it would have been a little difficult for Rutkoski to write it in first person without having to use alternating points of view, but I also think it would have made this book more relatable if she had written in first person instead of third person. But the book was also just lacking something for me. It never engrossed me. It never gripped me. I enjoyed it but I didn't feel much after finishing it and didn't feel any kind of connection with the characters.

The main characters were unique and developed. I loved the way that Kestrel is much different from other YA characters. Instead of being loud and tough and rebellious in her fight to make her way in the world, she quietly plots and manipulates people to her advantage. But Kestrel is also kind which was very much needed in a book such as this that includes slavery. It was refreshing to have such a smart lead YA character. Arin was also a likeable character to me. I liked that he was slowly revealed to us and the way that he developed along the storyline. His past was an interesting twist. I definitely wouldn't put him in my favorite male characters list, but I think he was pretty realistically characterized and I can definitely appreciate that. I do think there were some characters severely underdeveloped and some that were notably place-markers. Jess was very much underdeveloped and Kestrel seemed to have a stronger connection with Ronan than with the girl who is supposed to be her best friend. Enai was notably a place-marker and clearly was just a character that was meant to make Kestrel seem more compassionate. At one point, a character close to Kestrel dies. There wasn't much emotion, in my opinion. Kestrel is upset, of course, but there was no desperation of someone dearly loved lost. I'm not even sure why Rutkoski decided to remove that character from the storyline as it wouldn't have made any difference if she hadn't with the way the plotline ran.

The plot ran very slowly for me up until the ending. In some ways, I understand that the characters all needed time to develop their relationships so that it wouldn't seem insta-lovey; but at the same time it made for a boring book until the end. The romance was pretty well-written and more "grown-up" (meaning the characters acted more mature, not that it was explicit in any way) for a YA novel which was nice. The action elements were interesting and engrossed me as the plot unfolded. I think the war setting brought some interesting parts to the book, especially where Kestrel and her father's relationship was concerned. The ending was good and I think it set up for a strong beginning to the next book.

Overall, I think it was mostly the third person point of view that threw me and kept me from connecting to the characters. I did like different parts of the book, but I think there was just something missing from this that ultimately left me feeling unsatisfied by the end.

Likes: Unique blend of genres. Kestrel. Her father. Arin. The war setting. The action elements in the end.

Dislikes: Plot ran very slowly for me. Third person POV. Some characters were severely underdeveloped. Never connected with the characters.

Overall:
Recommend? Only if you can handle third person POV well. Otherwise I would say skip this one because there are probably similar books out there better written.
Reading the Next One? Yes. 

No comments :

Post a Comment