Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding | Audible Audiobook

Series: Bridget Jones #3

Publication: October 15th 2013 by Random House Audio

Source: Purchased

Goodreads Summary: Bridget Jones is back!

Great comic writers are as rare as hen's teeth. And Helen is one of a very select band who have created a character of whom the very thought makes you smile. Bridget Jones' Diary, charting the life of a 30-something singleton in London in the 1990s was a huge international bestseller, published in 40 countries and selling over 15 million copies worldwide. Its sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, published soon after was also a major international bestseller. Both were made into films starring Renée Zellweger, Hugh Grant and Colin Firth.

Set in the present, the new novel will explore a different phase in Bridget's life with an entirely new scenario. As Helen Fielding has said: "If people laugh as much reading it as I am while writing it then we'll all be very happy."

*I picked this summary as all others gave away a major plot point of the book* 
Goodreads Page

*Find my reviews for the first two books here (#1) and here (#2).

My Thoughts:

I figured from the reviews that I'd seen of this book that I probably wouldn't like it much. And I was right. If I hadn't wanted so badly to finish out the Bridget books, I wouldn't have finished listening to this (I listened to the audiobook). For one thing, it's a different reader since this book was published so much later than the previous two, and let me tell you, I didn't like her nearly as much as Imogen Church.

Secondly, HOW COULD HELEN FIELDING HAVE KILLED OFF SUCH AN IMPORTANT CHARACTER?! For those of you who may still want to read this, I won't give it away, but one of my favorite characters, if not my actual favorite character, is dead before this book even starts. It was very reminiscent of how I felt when Grey's Anatomy 11x21 happened and I felt so incredibly betrayed and so disappointed in such a stupid end for a favorite character (don't get me started on Grey's 11x21; I'll never get over the stupidity that is rampant in that episode and forever stopped me from watching a single episode after that one; Grey's is dead to me). Yes, sure it was interesting to read how Bridget continued with her life and how she forged on and all that but it was such a cheap way to cause some action in the book.

Since this book takes place mostly in 2013, it was different to see Bridget trying to find her way through social media. Her obsession with Twitter followers was quite funny in the beginning but became a bit annoying for me as the story went on. Twitter opened the door for her to meet new characters however and the entire situation that comes from that was fun to listen to. I also enjoyed meeting Bridget's children and found them to be quite funny (albeit a bit disgusting. If I had to listen to her daughter talking about/using saliva one more time, I think I would've thrown up). Besides entering the modern age of social media, Bridget still goes through her usual bumbles in life such as infecting multiple friends with lice and wearing the same dress to every single meeting she attends and throwing up while on a date.

It was nice to see Bridget again, but I'm glad the series is over. I was disappointed in the character written off as well as how explicit this book got while the previous two had very little. I'm ready to say goodbye to the humorous, bumbling Bridget Jones.

Likes: Bridget's children. The lice situation. Still the same Bridget I've loved from the beginning.

Dislikes: The character written off. The explicit scenes that were thrown in.

Overall:
Recommend? No. Just remember Bridget as she was instead of how she is haha.


No comments :

Post a Comment