Friday, August 12, 2016

Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

Series: Sookie Stackhouse #2

Publication: April 1st 2004 by Orbit

Source: Library Book

Goodreads Summary: Cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse is having a streak of bad luck. First her co-worker is killed, and no one seems to care. Then she comes face to-face with a beastly creature that gives her a painful and poisonous lashing. Enter the vampires, who graciously suck the poison from her veins (like they didn't enjoy it).

The point is: they saved her life. So when one of the bloodsuckers asks for a favor, she obliges - and soon Sookie's in Dallas, using her telepathic skills to search for a missing vampire. She's supposed to interview certain humans involved, but she makes one condition: the vampires must promise to behave and let the humans go unharmed. But that's easier said than done, and all it takes is one delicious blonde and one small mistake for things to turn deadly....

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:

Firstly, why has the synthetic blood changed names in the series three times now in only 2 books?? How did the editors not catch that?

I didn't like this one as much as the first one. For one thing, Bill got on my nerves quite a bit. I know that he gets better as the series goes on but his overbearingness and chauvinism throughout this book was starting to really get to me by the end of it. Eric's parts were what carried the book for me just like he inevitably carried the show for me as it went on. Eric is so different from Bill and I love the contrast in their personalities and can't wait to see what the series will do next with Eric. Sookie was fine for me in this book. She didn't get on my nerves and I liked reading as she became more confident in herself and her abilities.

I think if I hadn't watched the season of the TV show first, I'd think this book was a bit of a mess, and it kind of is. Jumping from the Fellowship of the Sun situation to the random maenad felt quite awkward, especially with the ending. I'm not sure if the maenad will come up again in the third book (which I doubt with how this book was wrapped up), but I felt the entire situation was random and weird and had no real purpose in the book. I also hated the entire maenad storyline in the TV show so it isn't surprising that I disliked it in the book too. Also, I'm so upset that one of my favorite characters was killed in this book! After getting attached from the TV show, I was surprised to see the character killed off so soon in the book and for such a stupid reason too.

Overall, I feel that the events in this book is one that you could skip if reading the series.

Likes: Eric. Sookie settled more into herself. Godfrey (Godric). The Fellowship of the Sun storyline was interesting.

Dislikes: The maenad was so random. Bill was annoying. Why did one of my favorite characters have to be killed off already??

Overall:
Recommend? Definitely not necessary to read this one in the series.
Reading the Next One? Yes.
 


No comments :

Post a Comment