Monday, July 18, 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #2

Publication: May 3rd 2016 by Bloomsbury USA Children's

Source: Library Book

Goodreads Summary: Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

With more than a million copies sold of her beloved Throne of Glass series, Sarah J. Maas's masterful storytelling brings this second book in her seductive and action-packed series to new heights.

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:

First of all: what the heck? This is an 8 BOOK SERIES? WAT. 
*My review of the first book with spoiler tags here.*

It. Was. Amazing. What even was ACOTAR compared to this?? I'm so happy with how this book turned out and has completely redeemed my belief in the characters of this series. It's no secret that I didn't really care for ACOTAR. I have a whole review with spoiler tags all about the various things in it that made zero sense. Trust me, there's a lot. To be fair, it was the first of Sarah's books I'd ever read and now that I have read a couple others I better understand her books/style I think. Although, to be fair, I think if I reread ACOTAR, I still would give it my very-generous-at-the-time rating of 3 stars.

I don't know where even to begin. This book has the perfect balance between action and character development. It's full of emotion and realism and I LOVED it. Gone is the Feyre cross-breed of Katniss and Bella Swan that I despised so much in ACOTAR. We're given a newborn Feyre who finds her own feet and strength to make her own decisions. Sure, there were still times I wanted to tell her to stop being stupid but those times were shortlived compared to other characters I've seen (including Celaena), and Feyre would return to being the more mature, likeable version of herself that now lives. I loved who Feyre became in this and reading as she came into her own. I cheered for her the entire time.
Rhysand. I loved Rhysand in the first book. He's actually one of the only things I listed as a "like" in my ACOTAR review from last year. I wanted to see more of him. Wanted to figure out who he really was and what his true motives were. Let me tell you: you get all of that and more in this book. I wish I could write more but, alas, spoilers. Suffice it to say, I love him and I loved what happened in this book concerning him and just yes.
Of course, we are given some scenes with some of our original characters such as Tamlin and Lucien, but let me just say, I never cared for Tamlin and I'm glad that I never fell into that fangirl love so many readers had. Tamlin has always reminded me of Edward Cullen and he continues to keep that comparison well and alive. Lucien, poor Lucien. I do wish his history wasn't what it was and that he didn't have to live his life in the Spring Court. He deserves better.
I really liked the new characters introduced in this book. The Night Court certainly holds some interesting people and I enjoyed reading and learning more about them.

I loved how the plot was paced. I think it had the perfect balance between action and harrowing scenes and fun, playful scenes that allowed us more beautiful glimpses into the world of Prythian. The way the plot played out gave us plenty of new insight into the seven courts and I really liked learning more about them. It gave me the happy feels that I got when reading the Percy Jackson series and learning more about the different cabins and demigods. And, of course, I LOVED the romance in this book. I do think that if you aren't a romance fan, this book may be overwhelming for you and you won't enjoy it as much. I mean, it's literally laced throughout the book and is a deeper theme even than ACOTAR. Although the romance in this sequel is much different and less starry-eyed I would say. I loved what it brought to the book and felt it was absolutely perfect for this sequel.

Lastly, I'm glad my predictions for this book didn't run true. If you read my review on ACOTAR, you'll see I predicted a love triangle and predicted that Feyre would spend all of her time running back and forth between two guys. I'm so glad that I was wrong (and I really hate being wrong lol). Bravo, Sarah. That's all I got to say. Bravo.

Likes: Literally all of it. I loved how Feyre changed and who she became. I loved Rhysand. I loved the new characters introduced. I loved the plot. I loved the romance. I loved the new glimpses into the world of Prythian. I loved it all.

Dislikes: Literally cannot think of anything. I'm glad that I never liked Tamlin...

Overall:
Recommend? Yes!!!
Reading the Next One? Yes!!!




No comments :

Post a Comment