Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Winter by Marissa Meyer

Series: The Lunar Chronicles #4

Publication: November 10th 2015 by Feiwel and Friends

Source: Purchased

Goodreads Summary: Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:

So. many. thoughts.

This is going to be a difficult review for me to write. Firstly because this book is so long and therefore hard to remember all of the details. Secondly, I read most of this under sleep deprivation from working so much so that's also why I probably won't be able to remember everything.

To quickly sum up my feelings on Winter: I really liked parts of it, but it was just too long. It just didn't capture me like Cinder and Cress did (Cress is my favorite). I'm not sure what it is exactly about it, but I think overall it was just how long it is that put me off from enjoying it as much as the previous books mentioned.

A lot happens in this book, obviously, since the Nook version is over 600 pages. We go on a very long, slightly tedious journey with Cinder which I totally understand because, I mean, a revolution doesn't just happen overnight. However, I think the length of it and the details of the events causes it to lack the urgency that it would have had if it had been shorter. There are time limits placed on the events in which the characters only have a few days to make things happen the way they want yet I never felt a press against time reading it or anxious about the characters. Of course, this could just be my impression in reading it, but I just would have liked to have felt more of an action element to it, such as Cress had laced throughout it than what I got in Winter. I loved what we got to see in all of the details given of Luna, their people in the outer sectors, the palace, etc. I just wish it was faster paced.

As with the previous books, we jump from character to character, getting cyclic updates on them. I enjoyed getting to know the new characters introduced *cough* Winter *cough* and to get to know her and Jacin's relationship more. Winter is such a unique and interesting character and I was fascinated reading how her Lunar sickness effected her. I think Meyer did an amazing job in Winter's characterization with the smallest details such as her strange way of caring so much for her animals/friends (Scarlet) yet not realizing that they're unhappy and starving. Her hallucinations were so interesting to read and just overall I just loved her as a character. Of course, if you've read my previous reviews on this series, you'll know who my favorite characters are and I enjoyed getting to read about their adventures to the end. I could go about each individual character, but just suffice it to say, I loved reading the conclusion to each of them and seeing how this epic series came to an end.

Likes: Winter's characterization was genius. Thorne. Cress. Cinder. Iko. Kai...I could keep going. The character's relationships and interactions with each other. Getting to see Luna and how the Lunars live. The ending was one of the better endings I've read in a series, no disappointments.

Dislikes: It was just too long. Quite a few events could have been cut in my opinion to make the pace faster. There's supposed to be a time crunch on them yet I never felt an urgency in their actions (my brain might just be weird. Plus, see "sleep deprivation" paragraph above).

Overall:
Recommend? Of course. You have to finish the series. Simple as that.
 


No comments :

Post a Comment