Saturday, October 10, 2015

Evertrue by Brodi Ashton

Series: Everneath #3

Publication: January 21st 2014 by Balzer & Bray

Source: Library Book

Goodreads Summary: Now that Nikki has rescued Jack, all she wants is to be with him and graduate high school. But Cole tricked Nikki into feeding off him, and she’s begun the process of turning into an Everliving herself... which means she must feed on a Forfeit soon — or die.

Terrified for her survival, Nikki and Jack begin a desperate attempt to reverse the process using any means possible. Even Cole, who they expected to fight them at every turn, has become an unlikely ally — but how long can it last? Nikki needs to feed on Cole to survive, Cole needs Nikki to gain the throne in the Everneath, Jack needs Nikki because she is everything to him — and together, they must travel back to the Underworld to undo Nikki’s fate and make her mortal once more. But Cole isn’t the only one with plans for Nikki: the Queen has not forgotten Nikki’s treachery, and she wants her destroyed for good. Will Nikki be forced to spend eternity in the Underworld, or does she have what it takes to bring down the Everneath once and for all?

In this stunning conclusion to the Everneath trilogy, Brodi Ashton evokes the resiliency of the human spirit and the indomitable power of true love.

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:
*Contains Mild Spoiler from the Second Book, Everbound*

This was a disappointing ending to a good series for me. Multiple things that may be little to some people just added up to me really disliking it.

First of all, Cole and the amnesia. Yeah, no thanks. Cole is pretty much my favorite part of the entire series. I immediately started to dislike this book when Cole turns up without any Cole personality. It killed it for me but I kept thinking it would get better and that there would be a twist and the Cole I loved would reappear. Needless to say, I was left disappointed. It was a bit fun to see some of Cole's past, but I was too overwhelmingly upset about Cole not being Cole that I really just didn't care about the glimpses we got.

Jack. was. so. annoying. I never liked Jack the entire series, but I think even if you were a fan of him in the first two books, you would have been left annoyed by the end of this one. He was just so overbearing and jealous and pigheaded that I wish I could've punched him through a wall like he was so fond of doing to other people. He was immature and his actions really conflicted with the way that Nikki's and Jack's love is portrayed. They're made out to be this sort of old-married-acting couple where they're super comfortable around each other and secure in their love yet every five minutes--almost literally--Jack is throwing a hissy fit over Cole--who isn't even really Cole because of the amnesia thing--making innocent comments about Nikki being pretty or with him having to feed her. It was so frustrating. If you're so secure in your feelings for her, why are you so upset about her being fed when the alternative is for her to die?! Nikki should've dumped his giant, overly-muscular, overbearing, pigheaded behind and forgot that she ever knew him. Any slight admiration I had for him with his actions when the first book ended went right out the window in this one. Plus, um, hello, Cole helped you return to your life, jerkface. Get over yourself for two seconds and maybe you'd realize how stupid you're acting.

It became too Percy Jackson for me with the plot. The first two books were pretty unique with their plot. They had a hint of mythology to them but overall they were just contemporary fantasy reads for me. This book just became Percy Jackson with quests. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Percy Jackson. But it felt out of place with this. If the previous plots had been about quests and gathering special items, etc. like this one was so heavily characterized, I wouldn't have been so unhappy with it. But the series just felt like it did a 180 on me and went from unique underworld to Percy Jackson quests and it was just strange and lost its uniqueness. Plus, it was nowhere near as good as Percy Jackson quests. It was like a half-butt attempt with the whole sword (which mysteriously disappears and they need for a whole .2 seconds after making such a big deal out of getting it) and beetles thing and just, no. If you're going to try to emulate Rick Riordan, at least try to make it a little better than that.

Lastly, the ending. Ugh. The ending. I hated it. I absolutely hated it. I would've been okay with the overall, big idea of the ending, but the way the characters ended up, I hated it. So many of the characters that I had become attached to come to bad ends and I am so unhappy with it. Even though they weren't prominent characters, I hated seeing the way they ended up. But I may have been able to get past that and let it go if it weren't for the way the main characters ended up. I'M SO UPSET. How could Ashton do that?!?! It was COMPLETELY out of character. I don't want to give away any spoilers but it was completely out of character in so many ways that it was ridiculous to have that character come to that end.

I could go on with more things that I disliked about this. Little things like Ashe and his actions, and the weird professor who makes way too many, spot-on educated guesses about the Everneath and the way it works with so little information and without thinking any of it was weird. But I hit my most important issues with this, and I think I'm just going to leave off with those.

Likes: The overall big idea of the plot ending.

Dislikes: THE CHARACTER'S ENDS. Jack and his ridiculous baby-ness--like get out of here already. Although I never liked Nikki and Jack together, their relationship dynamic completely crumbles in this and I'm really left wondering why Nikki has any feelings for him whatsoever. It deteriorates into this ugly, unhealthy relationship that feels like Nikki is just with him because she used to want him and not because of who he is any longer. COLE'S AMNESIA. WHAT THE EVEN HECK? Percy Jackson plotline.

Overall:
Recommend? NO. Just stop at the second one and pretend that there is no third book. I wish I had.


No comments :

Post a Comment