Sunday, June 14, 2015

Romeo Redeemed by Stacey Jay

Series: Juliet Immortal #2

Publication: October 9th 2012 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Source: Library Book

Goodreads Summary: Seductive companion to the popular Juliet Immortal, in which former lovers—Romeo and Juliet—meet, not as true lovers, but truly as enemies.

Cursed to live out eternity in his rotted corpse, Romeo, known for his ruthless, cutthroat ways, is given the chance to redeem himself by traveling back in time to save the life of Ariel Dragland. Unbeknownst to her, Ariel is important to both the evil Mercenaries and the love-promoting Ambassadors and holds the fate of the world in her hands. Romeo must win her heart and make her believe in love, turning her away from her darker potential before his work is discovered by the Mercenaries. While his seduction begins as yet another lie, it soon becomes his only truth. Romeo vows to protect Ariel from harm, and do whatever it takes to win her heart and soul. But when Ariel is led to believe his love is a deception, she becomes vulnerable to Mercenary manipulation, and her own inner darkness may ultimately rip them apart.

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts:
*This Review Contains Some Spoilers for Both Juliet Immortal and Romeo Redeemed*

I thought that I would like this book better than the first one. It has a higher rating than the first one here on Goodreads. My sister liked this one better than the first. And it just seems like the type of book that I would like better in sequel than in first edition. But I didn't.

I'm not sure exactly what it is about this book, but it just didn't draw me in or capture me the way Juliet Immortal did. It was still an enjoyable read for me and I liked many parts of it, but I still just didn't like it as much as the first one. Also, the cover is super lame and cheesy. Looks like an old lady's romance book you find at the grocery store more than a Young Adult book.

Once again, I liked the characterization and the plot mostly. I liked being able to see who Ariel really was after only getting glimpses of her in Juliet Immortal. I thought it was interesting that Nurse decided to give Romeo another chance to turn to the good side.

I liked the idea of there being alternate realities; and I think this element wouldn't have bothered me if it had been better executed. It didn't make sense. Whereas in the first book, I was bothered by various issues involving the Ambassadors vs. Mercenaries, I figured it was mostly just something that was handled too vaguely for me to understand. With the whole alternate realities thing, it just didn't make any sense and I HATED how it affected Juliet. After seeing Juliet come to a happy, albeit unexplained and strange, ending, she ONCE AGAIN gets the short end of the stick because of Romeo's choices. I hated that the ending of Juliet Immortal was basically thrown away in this book. It also didn't make sense. Since this was an alternate reality, Juliet shouldn't have had any memories of what happened in the first book. She should be a Juliet that only has memories of loving Romeo and marrying Romeo, but that isn't the case. Instead, she's left in the tomb (which I don't have a problem with, it's what would've happened naturally), but with all of her memories of Ben intact. That Juliet with the Ben memories should've been left in that reality instead of being dragged in and thrown in to this reality where Ben ONCE AGAIN doesn't know who she is. She should also have no memories of the Ambassadors because she wouldn't have ever made that choice in this reality. It just doesn't make any sense.

I know that this book focuses on Romeo, but I still would've liked a definite ending to Juliet's side. We have an idea of how her life proceeded, but we don't exactly. I would've liked to have had more details of Juliet, especially after how she was affected in this book.

Lastly, I still would've liked to have seen Romeo and Juliet end up together. I know that Juliet deserved much better than Romeo and I did really like her and Ben being together. And I know that idea is totally anti everything that occurs in these books, but a part of me still wishes that after everything they went through and put each other through, that they still would've ended up together.

Likes: Ariel. The redemption of Romeo. Parts of the alternate reality idea.

Dislikes: The alternate realities was poorly written and didn't make sense. Typos and grammar errors. The way Juliet was affected in this book. The cover.

Overall:
Recommend? Yes.






No comments :

Post a Comment